If you have inquiries regarding residency requirements, determinations, and/or official exemptions, please contact our office:

Phone: (510) 642-7209
UC Berkeley
Residence Affairs Unit
120 Sproul Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-5404

Callback Queue Hours: Tuesdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to noon; Wednesdays and Thursdays, 2 to 4 p.m.


If you are classified as a nonresident at the campus level, you have an opportunity to appeal the decision. All appeals are handled by the Office of the General Counsel, not by the campus. In order to appeal, you must:

  1. Complete the Appeal Application
  2. Submit the completed application with a copy of your nonresident letter to Office of the General Counsel within 30 days of your nonresident decision

The Office of the General Counsel will contact you upon receipt of your documents. Note: UC Berkeley’s Residence Affairs Unit will not have information about your appeal. Be aware that if you received a nonresident classification, it is unlikely that the decision can be reversed on appeal. You may submit the Appeal Application and a copy of your nonresident letter via postal mail, email, or fax:

Fax: (510) 987-9981
Mailing Address: Attn: Residency Analyst, University of California Office of the General Counsel, 1111 Franklin St., 8th Floor, Oakland, CA 94607-5200

Note: Appeals can take an estimated six to eight weeks to be processed by the Office of the General Counsel. Address all of your appeals questions to the Office of the General Counsel.

Incorrect Classification

  • If incorrectly classified as a resident, you are subject to reclassification and to payment of all nonresident supplemental tuition not paid.
  • If you concealed information, or furnished false information and were incorrectly classified as a result, you may be deferred to the Center for Student Conduct and disciplinary action may result.
  • Any resident student who becomes a nonresident must immediately notify the Residence Affairs Unit.